Hello beautiful friends,
I have been obsessed with Bulletproof Coffee for almost two years now – but I’ve had an on and off again relationship with it for many different reasons. I started drinking Bulletproof Coffee back when I was still enrolled in Nutrition School in 2014-2015 and absolutely fell in love with it.
When I first started drinking Bulletproof Coffee I made sure to always add in the grass-fed butter as per the recipe. I loved the energy it gave me and how I could go all morning without any hunger and avoid the blood sugar crash from a high-carb breakfast. I religiously drank my Bulletproof Coffee for about 3 months before I had to stop!
I started to develop a chronic ear and nose pain, and post-nasal drip. I knew that I had a dairy sensitivity because whenever I consumed too much cheese I would get a sinus infection… but for some reason, I disregarded the grass-fed butter as a source of dairy that could trigger my sensitivity. The pain in my ears, nose, and throat was SO bad that I had made several doctors appointments, and even went to a specialist. With no feedback or information from the medical doctors, I knew I had to look over my diet – and the butter was the only thing I could think of that would be causing me so much discomfort.
Once I stopped drinking the coffee with butter I felt a million times better! I simply substituted the butter with coconut oil, I was still able to enjoy the benefits of my high-fat coffee!
For those who also have a dairy sensitivity or who prefer to enjoy a dairy-free diet, this recipe is for you!! It’s my absolute favourite and it still has incredible health benefits!!
- 1-2 cups of boiling water
- 2.5 tbsps of Bulletproof Coffee
- 1 tsp to 2 tbsp of Brain Octane Oil
- 1-2 tbsp of organic virgin unrefined coconut oil
- Brew 1 cup (8-12 ounces) of coffee using filtered water with 2 ½ heaping tablespoons of freshly ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans
- Use a French Press for ease of use and to preserve beneficial coffee oils that paper filters keep out.
- Mix it all in a high-speed blender (I use a vitamix) for 20-30 seconds until it looks like a foamy latte.
- Optional: Add 1/2 teaspoon of raw organic cacao powder
- Optional: Add 1/2 teaspoon of raw organic unpasteurized local honey
- Optional: Add a dash of organic cinnamon powder
In addition, Bulletproof Coffee has numerous health benefits that go far beyond what I just mentioned. The Brain Octane Oil offers the shortest of the MCT’s, which converts into ketone energy which can be used by the brain. It also helps in re-balancing of Yeast in Gut – Studies show that there are fungicidal effects of caprylic fatty acids, which are helpful in balancing Candida in the gut.* Read more about it HERE.
Enjoy your Bulletproof Coffee my lovely friends – comment on your favourite breakfast recipes!